Over at The Happy Housewife, Toni has issued a Hot Breakfast Challenge for February. One not to miss a challenge, I thought I could join in by sharing something we dined on for the first time this past weekend: Purple Pancakes.
And you could make these, too. Really.
Here’s the disclaimer before I get too far: I like to make lots of things from scratch, but pancakes I do not. I stick with my friend Aunt Jemima. (Yes, I know, they could be healthier if from scratch. But they aren’t and that is just the way it is.)
With that out of the way, here’s how you make the yummy purple pancakes.
- Blend about ¼ – ½ cup of old-fashioned oats in your blender until they are fine like flour. (See– I’ve added a little nutrition!)
- Add this to the pancake mix
- Blend or process about ¼ cup blueberries and/ or blackberries until they are pasty and add to pancake mix and oatmeal (More healthy stuff!!)
- Add water as instructed on the box, or until your preferred consistency is reached. (I prefer to use the just add water pancake mix–lower WW points.)
- Griddle up those pancakes and serve to amazed children who are getting extra nutrition without even knowing it. Pile bananas and berries on top for even more nutrition and sweetness.
Sorry I don’t have any photos. We were too busy enjoying the breakfast to capture the moment digitally.
But I can tell you about another pancake experience from last March-my daughter’s 2nd birthday party. It was super fun and super easy. Is it okay to have the same party two years in a row?
I could make pink ones this time with strawberries. Or just do that for Valentine’s Day. Hmmmm.
Anyhow, I hope you enjoy your pancakes.